Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: VOT A6 cabinet plans

  1. #1
    tgroendahl
    Guest tgroendahl's Avatar

    Post

    A few days ago I have placed another topic regarding the use of a Duplex driver in the VOT A6 enclosure as seen in the 1945 catalogue: http://www.voiceofthetheatre.com/ima...att1945.10.jpg

    Does anyone know if at all the plans for the A6 are available?

    The A6 seems to be quite a bit larger than the 825/828 (A7) enclosure.

    Suppose the size adds to the LF extension compared to the A7?

    I?m looking for an "interesting" cabinet solution for my recently acquired Duplex 605B drivers.

    Thanks in advance for any help!

    Best regards,
    Thomas

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    I could reverse engineer it 'close enough' from the available brochure, but I know from personal experience it's not a good design for HIFI apps (our school used one with a 605A for PA), and since it doesn't show up in later brochures AFAIK it seems reasonable that it didn't impress cinema theater owners either, so I figure you'd need to do considerable tweaking and/or sitting >40-45 ft away in a very large room. They do look kind of neat in an industrial sort of way though. They 'shine' as A5s though: http://web.archive.org/web/200406170...downstairs.jpg

    Anyway, the Jensen Imperial is a much better HIFI solution and experiment with rear chamber Vb and/or damping the throat if it has too much gain in-room.

    GM

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    VOT A6 cabinet plans


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    First the disclaimer: The old A6 was bfore my time. I've never heard one. I did however look at a number of pics and my first reactin isn't a good one.

    Everything I know about horn design says it's just not a good one. Starting with the large throat, and going from there. the A7 looks like a much better design, i wouldn't be suprised if the smaller A7 outperformed it.

    I would back the suggestion that the Jensen is a much better consideration.

    If you don't mind a bit of sacrilege, this cabinet from the "Just Big and Loud' crowd might be another to consider. But it's going to take some pretty good woodworking skills.

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/plans/C34.htm

    I plan on building a set of these this summer to try my 604-G's in.

    I think you'd be better of with a back loading horn, due to the hf horn on the front of the 604.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Zene's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2006
    Posts
    18
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Old Guy ... from really old guy. I have JBL 2226 clones (P.audio 150/2226) I'm looking for some serious deep bass to match a 150hz horn with P.audio 12" coax as driver. I also have a pair of Altec 602 frames to re-cone to "what-ever" if that helps?
    The model 34 looks interesting, and I have plans for the Imperial from Deckert, but it is incredibly too **** big.
    How would a 1/2 Imperial compare to the 34? Or is there still better out there for a single 15? Will do two per side if I must. Solid to 35hz or 40hz will do. Ya! I know, KHorn. Not! Did build pair and not again. Was just to let you know a complex box is OK. Thanks, Zene

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    VOT A6 cabinet plans


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Zene-
    I frankly just don't know about the 1/2 Imperial. My only Imperial experience is with what was called the build in version. I got the print I believe from "Loudspeaker Enclosures: Their Design and Use" by aleis Bademaieff (SP?) and Don Davis.
    It's an expansion of the Altec Tech Letter of the same name. Way back around 1978 I built a pair. I was pleased with them, but I was easier to please then,so...


    In that same book theres a print for the Klipsch shorthorn. The driver is exposed in front, the back wave is horn loaded into the corner. Had a pair of those with 416b's, and 811's with 802's. More than one landlord threatened to evict me over those. It might be a possibilty . The print apparently shows a single drive at the top, I put the low driver at the bottom since the slot that forms the horn throat runs all the way up and down the back of the cab. It's a possibility.

    I don't think it's as good a cabinet as the Imperial or the C34. But it is smaller. Downside is you need two corners in the room open.

    My experience with horns is if you need a small box, go ported. I just haven't seen a small(bass) horn that sounds like I want. Anything much smaller than the 34 is just too small. Bass waves are Big.

    I'm playing with DSP right now. I've got a Behringer DCX 2496 (yeah I know, but it actually isn't too bad a unit). It has a parametric EQ and low pass filter, so you can EQ in bass down to 40, and chop off everything below that to make the speaker behave better. I'm sure there are other devices on the market that can do similar stuff. These kinda things can help a lot when trying to get small boxes to sound better.

    Sorry if I'm low on ideas about small horns- amybe some of the other guys here can help.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Zene's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2006
    Posts
    18
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Old Guy, thx for reply. I think my mind set was also different in the 70's/80's listening to Neal Diamond on LaScalas. And I think the smoke in the room affected the sound quality. Ported would be easier to tune for sure. Looking at Onkens.
    I have a Behringer 2496 crossover coming. Can I get off topic for a second and ask you if you know what the home amp input impedance should be to run it unbalanced. I will be using 3 or 4 41hz.com Amp 6's in my system, making isolation transformers very expensive. Zene

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Thomas Groendahl:
    [QB]A few days ago I have placed another topic regarding the use of a Duplex driver in the VOT A6 enclosure as seen in the 1945 catalogue: http://www.voiceofthetheatre.com/ima...att1945.10.jpg
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I just looked at the link.... your talking about the old A5/A6. I can't recall what that cabinet is called, H110, or something similar. I think the thread I linked to below calls it a 110, but I think I've seen the H referance too.
    Does anyone know if at all the plans for the A6 are available?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've never noticed plans, but I haven't looked either. I have a single cabinet, but it's in storage.
    The A6 seems to be quite a bit larger than the 825/828 (A7) enclosure.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That is an understatement, if I' ever heard one.... the cabinet is HUGE! It's in storage becasue it won't fit in my front door!
    Suppose the size adds to the LF extension compared to the A7?

    I?m looking for an "interesting" cabinet solution for my recently acquired Duplex 605B drivers.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I wish I knew what it sounded like.

    Check this thread out:

    What's This?

    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Zene's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2006
    Posts
    18
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thx, ready to start cutting wood, been saving a sheet of Teac, and ordering/building amps. The Powersofts do look interesting. I'll wait for the price to come down, too. You done saved me a lot of aggravation and money. Zene

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member
    VOT A6 cabinet plans


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    That amp is based on a tripath chip, I think I got the right one here.


    http://www.tripath.com/downloads/TA2020.pdf

    Looking at that schematic the input impedance is high enough, I wouldn't expect any probs at all.


    When my pockets get a little deeper i want to pick up a pair of these.

    http://pro-audio.powersoft.it/produc...nu=213&obj=108

    Powersoft make a Bi-amp thats 350 on the low and 65 on the high section. The DSP functions including crossover are all built right into the amps. Makes sense, you gotta digitize the signal anyway. I just wanna play with them.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Zene,

    I think they are referring to the later Imperial (late '50's rather than earlier '50's that the Decware is based on). It was designed for a single 15".

    http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Jensen/cabinart2-2.jpg

    Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.